Anthony Flies to Loma de Luz this week!

As I type, Anthony is on a plane headed to Honduras for a two week missions trip. First, he will go to Tegucigalpa, the capital of Honduras, to serve with his childhood church through World Gospel Outreach. After working in the medical clinics which often serve the urban poor of the city, he will head to Loma de Luz, our future home. As you might have read in our earlier post, we have committed two years of service with World Medical Mission. I'm very jealous that Anthony is about to see Loma de Luz and meet all of the other families who live there. Originally, I had planned to go with Anthony on this trip. However, the CDC advises against pregnant women going to countries that have the Zika virus. I look forward to hearing of his many experiences when he arrives home.
As Anthony was traveling today, I also read something in Time Magazine concerning Honduras. The article was focused on recent immigration laws and policies. The State Department warned against U.S. citizens traveling to El Salvador, and that with Guatemala and Honduras, these countries have the world's highest murder rates. Naturally, this statement terrified me. I have heard about the gang violence in Tegucigalpa, and in Honduras as a whole. Seeing the reminder in print brought to mind some of the real dangers of moving to Honduras. Yet as I read that statement in my magazine, I knew without a doubt that Anthony and I are committed to going there for a reason. Even now, the Lord watches over him as he travels, and me as I wait for his return.
Currently, many Central Americans residing in the US are being sent back to their country of origin. They are forced to exit the land they have called home by a world leader who doesn't ultimately see their value here, but instead sees them as a nuisance, a threat, and a violation. Many of these immigrants have raised families in the US, learned the language, and worked hard to make this country home. I can only imagine that the thought of returning must cause them great sadness, even despair. As tens of thousands of Hondurans await the news of the next Department of Homeland Security take-back of Temporary Protected Status (TPS), we prepare ourselves to go and serve whoever is living there. We commit to sharing the Gospel, caring for the sick, and answering the call to 'go, and make disciples of all nations.' As thousands of immigrants do settle and live amongst us in the US (for the time being), may we also go to them, sharing the Good News among the nations who we have the privilege of calling our neighbors.

Help Send the Miele's to Honduras

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Beginning of our Journey with World Medical Mission